For the second year, as part of the premiere event for filmmakers from Northwestern Ontario and around the world, the Bay Street Film Festival presents the Hatch a Film Contest. Pre-registered filmmaker finalists can pitch to an industry jury to win a $2000 cash prize and $5000 of in-kind services from Flash Frame Film and Video Network, a not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of film and video production in Northwestern Ontario.
The Hatch A Film Contest is sponsored by William F. White Interactive and Flash Frame Film & Video Network. Bay Street Film Festival’s funding support is courtesy of the Ontario Trillium Foundation, Canada Council for the Arts, Ontario Arts Council, City of Thunder Bay and Heritage Canada.
(The .pdf application can be downloaded, printed and filled in by hand. You can scan and email the submission form, mail it or drop it off in-person.)
(The .docx application, when opened in Microsoft Office, can be typed directly into and emailed once completed and saved. This will not open correctly in Open Office. Please opt for the .pdf application if you don’t have Microsoft Office.)
Hatch A Film Contest Rules & Regulations
PARTICIPATION IN THE BAY STREET FILM FESTIVAL’S HATCH A FILM CONTEST CONSTITUTES FULL AND UNCONDITIONAL AGREEMENT AND ACCEPTANCE OF ITS RULES AND REGULATIONS.
PHASE ONE: How to Register to Participate
1. Film Submission Period
The Competition Entry Period begins at 12:00 am (EST) on August 1, 2015 and ends at 11:59 pm (EST) on September 7, 2015.
2. Eligibility Criteria
- The Hatch A Film Contest is open to residents of Thunder Bay and the surrounding region who are 18 years of age or older at the start of the Competition Entry Period and who have completed at least one independent film or video work. Bay Street Film Festival employees and their families are ineligible.
- Only one submission per person will be accepted.
- Short-listed finalists must attend the Hatch A Film Contest Pitch Night on Friday, September 11, 2015 from 6:00 pm – 7:30 pm at 314 Bay Street.
- Proposed film must be a minimum of one minute and less than five minutes in length (excluding credits)
3. Application Mandatories
Email, mail or hand-deliver your completed application before the Submission Deadline on September 7, 2015 at Midnight.
Subject Line: “Hatch A Film Contest Application”
By Post and In Person:
Bay Street Film Festival Office
314 Bay Street (Above The Hoito)
Thunder Bay, ON P7B 1S1
- Fully completed application form
- Do not forget the one-page résumé of the filmmaker submitting the application
4. Conditions of Participation
All submissions must meet the Eligibility Criteria and include a fully completed Application Form and Privacy Statement & Submission Release Form.
Submissions must contain the description of an original film idea, including a film synopsis and outline, which must have the ability to result in a film that can be suitable for screening in a public forum and must not contain:
- Material that violates or infringes upon the rights of third parties – privacy, publicity, copyright and otherwise.
- Branded products, company names, or trademarks
- Material that promotes discrimination or contains gratuitous sex and/or violence.
PHASE TWO: Selection Process
1. Evaluation Criteria
- A selected jury of industry professionals will evaluate all Hatch A Film Contest applications based on the established evaluation criteria.
- All decisions are final, binding, and not subject to review
- The jury will independently review the submissions and assign a numerical value to each submission on a scale of 1 to 5 (5 being the highest score) based on the following criteria:
- The proposed idea is conducive to a short film format.
- The proposed idea and submission are engaging and demonstrate artistic vision and adherence to professional best practices.
- The overall enjoyment quotient and feasibility of the idea.
- The jury will short-list seven finalists for the live Pitch Night on Friday, September 11, 2015.
2. Grand Prize
- Along with potential public exposure for the film idea described in the submission, one (1) $2000 cash prize with $5000 of in-kind services from Flash Frame Film and Video Network will be awarded in two (2) designated installments to one (1) filmmaker following the Hatch A Film Contest Pitch Night on Friday, September 11, 2015 in Thunder Bay, Ontario.
- The Pitch Night will consist of a three-minute opportunity for each of the short-listed candidates to pitch their previously submitted film idea to the jury in front of a live audience. The pitch will be followed by a three-minute question and answer session by the jury
- Bay Street Film Festival reserves the right to disqualify any individual whom it finds to be in violation of these official Rules or tampering in the entry process.
- Each participant grants the Competition Parties exclusive permission to use their name, image, photograph, voice, and likeness or any part thereof, in connection with promotion of this Competition and other marketing purposes deemed appropriate.